What Is DACA
On June 15, 2012, the Secretary of Homeland Security announced that certain people who came to the United States as children and meet several guidelines may request consideration of deferred action for a period of two years, subject to renewal. They are also eligible for work authorization. Deferred action is a use of prosecutorial discretion to defer removal action against an individual for a certain period of time. Deferred action does not provide lawful status.
ABC 7 NEWS Report on DACA
What We've Achieved
- Raised $15,000 to complete most of the filming.
- Traveled to Mexico with a professional film crew. We captured Maribel's experience of returning to a land she hardly knew. We filmed family members, government officials, and others to document the impact immigration has in both the USA and Mexico.
- Filmed several other DACA recipients in which they discussed their experience growing up undocumented and how their lives changed once they were able to drive and work legally.
- Filmed in Washington D.C. while several DACA recipients lobbied for immigration reform.
- Interviewed politicians, lawyers, and immigration experts.
- Were featured on the Hollywood Reporter, Fox 11, ABC 7, and other publixations.